Mystery Knitted Bag – Making Up Instructions
Written by Wendy Poole.
Copyright © Wendy Poole 2013. For personal use only.
1. Stitch lower pocket fronts to the centre under placket.
2. Pin both upper-pocket/back, side front sections to the placket and stitch the upper front sections only to the centre placket.
3. With the wrong side facing, slip stitch the pocket linings to the central placket. At this stage do not stitch the bottom pocket lining edges or the outside pocket edges in place.
4. With the right side facing, make a couple of stitches to secure the upper outside corner of the pocket to the pocket lining. Do not stitch the side and lower front pockets to the pocket linings at this point.
5. Stitch the 2 narrow moss stitch bands along the top edges.
6. Stitch vertical stag horn cable trim to the top and bottom of the bag, then slip stitch on the wrong side of the strip at the inner edge of the garter stitch band , along the sides of the under placket on each side.
7. Measure the gusset band into 3 sections, Section 1 =12”, section 2 = 15’, Section 3 = 12”. Or Depth of bag, length of bag, depth of bag.
8. Stitch the bottom edge of the front bag to one side of the central section of the gusset band.
9. Stitch the side fronts of the bag to shorter sections (top and bottom section) of the gusset bag as follows:- Stitch the outer edge of the lower pocket front to the gusset band (do not stitch the lower pocket lining or side of pocket lining) ensuring that both sides of the pocket are the same length.
Then stitch the outer edges of the upper front sections to the gusset band.
1 Now, on the wrong side of the work, stitch down the pocket lining sides and bottom edges into to the seams.
1 Stitch the back of the bag in the same manner, matching the corners to correspond with the front sections.
During the first week in December I will be posting the final instructions on how to make a sewn in lining, attaching the strap and inserting the zip.